The purpose of the organisation is to advance the science and practice of refrigeration; in the national interest, in all of its applications, in the development of its methods and technology, and in its uses in the community by:
- Providing services that support all participants in the industry and users of refrigeration and air conditioning equipment.
- Encouraging research and innovation in all matters relating to the science and practice of refrigeration and air conditioning.
- Promoting a safe and sustainable approach to all aspects of refrigeration and air conditioning system design and operation.
- Publishing and distributing documents and standards that support the refrigeration and air conditioning industry and its uses by the community.
- Promoting education in the science and practice of refrigeration.
- Promoting communication with and among other persons and organisations within Australia and overseas where this is in the interests of ARA and its members through its website, newsletter, events and working groups.
- Promoting policies that achieve these objectives.
- Collaborating with all industry stakeholders in the achievement of these objectives including government, RAC industry and RAC user industry organisations.
A critical immediate issue is the transition of the industry to safe, efficient and sustainable technology and management practices in all respects. One of our immediate objectives is therefore to cause the Refrigeration and Air Conditioning industry, in collaboration with government and industry stakeholders, to adopt a comprehensive strategy to increase energy efficiency and reduce refrigerant and greenhouse gas emissions in all RAC sectors.